Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Speaking!

On my blog, I have a link to the Chimp-O-Matic site and it displays random quotes from the “Decider” and often they are from speeches he made during his election campaigns. Here’s one of my favorites: "I refuse to be sucked into your hypnotheoretical arguments. --George W. Bush Indianapolis, IN 10/15/2004"

When I read these; I have to ask myself… wasn’t anyone listening? What were you people thinking?

For the past year though, I think his handlers have seen the light and they give him more prepared speeches to read and don’t allow him as many opportunities to speak his mind. And there is nothing worse than listening to him read a speech that he is seeing for the first time.

Who was the last president to write his own speeches? Truman? Roosevelt? Lincoln was a great “stump” speaker, a talent that was much in demand during his day. The speeches were extemporaneous, without notes of any kind. Being intelligent and mentally nimble were the requisites for being a good stump speaker. And for being president.

Shouldn’t there be a law that mandates that the president must write his own speeches? Don’t we deserve to hear his own thoughts, if any, on the subject at hand? When the people heard Lincoln, they heard his mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment