Wednesday, January 3, 2007

(Ab) Normal

What a mess! I imported some Office calendar templates from Microsoft yesterday and somehow they have (I have?) ruined my Normal dot template. But, all of my documents are opening as they should this morning; despite the screen warning that Normal is…shall we say, abnormal and can’t be found? Back in the day when I was more of a geek than I am now, I would stash a copy of Normal dot away in a safe place, just for times like this. In fact, I would often end up with far too many Normal’s and have to delete some based on file creation dates. But I am no longer the geek I once was and it looks like I will have to find some other way of reconstructing Normal.

Which brings up the question… who decided to call it Normal? You have to admit that it’s an odd name for a very important template. Who’s to say what Normal is? Well, you can of course. It’s your Normal and my Normal doesn’t look like your Normal. Can you imagine the programmers all sitting around the table in the conference room Redmond as they debated the merits of naming this template, Normal?

And I used to share my Normal. Normal can contain all of your favorite macros and so I would gather useful Normal’s from various offices; combine the good features and then spread them around to those in need of a better Normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment