Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Older and wiser?

A few thoughts on aging. Last week, during the short time I was at the endoscopy clinic, I noticed that I really enjoyed the fact that someone, the nurses, cared for me. They were very kind and supportive during a time of some fear. My fear. So I can see where you could become attracted to that feeling. As you age, you feel less and less valuable and now…out of the blue, here’s someone that seems to think you are special. It’s probably no wonder that that the elderly need more health care…in some cases, they like it!

No, I don’t think I’m in danger of becoming addicted to healthcare. For one thing, it’s too expensive! Secondly; my wife values me; we support each other. But it has made me think; how do you feel valued again? When I was working I had a prominent role as an instructor, an estimator and as an expert in computer estimating software applications. Before that, I was a superintendent/project manager for large construction projects. (I was the "Decider"!) And long before that, I was a foreman on those same kinds of projects. I was important. At least that was my perception; they paid me as if I was important and that was my validation. Good enough.

But now we have to create our own validation of worth and it doesn’t involve our salaries anymore. So where does it come from? Well, I just read that with the “Baby Boomers” retiring, there has been a sharp increase in the number of volunteers helping at local charities. And that’s happening nationwide. It would be nice if the volunteering was all about helping others, but I do believe that it is also all about us!

But that’s OK. It’s better that we’re helping out instead of hanging out…at the doctors office.

No comments:

Post a Comment