Sunday, February 18, 2007

Can you spare a dollar?

A great morning! I always feel this way after doing better than expected in an event. Yes, I have done faster 5K races, but since I wasn’t expecting to beat last years time, it was sweet to have done just that. Especially after such slow practice times leading up to the race. Now I have to get ready for the Bidwell Classic in less than two weeks. Just doing a couple of ten milers during this time should get me back in shape for the longer distance. But after Bidwell? What will my goal be? I better start looking for some more races for spring... and summer.

The fire has been started once again. I had to let it go out the other day because of the unexpected warm temperatures (76°) we were experiencing. The forecast is for more seasonal weather, down into the 40’s and so we begin again. The upside of all of this wood burning is a very low PG&E bill and the promise of a rebate in March because we are such thrifty consumers! (as if we had a choice)

Temperature maintenance is tricky with a wood fire. You have to keep it on ‘low’ with very little air and then add wood only after the fire is down to glowing embers. Then hope that there is enough heat left to ignite the wood you added. Do it at the wrong time and you’re soon on your hands and knees, blowing into the stove in the vain hope of ignition.

News… I understand that another dollar coin was introduced the other day. And once again it’s close to the size of a quarter. Doesn’t anyone in charge of these things understand? It will never be popular until it’s distinctively larger. Start calling in the few 50 cent pieces that are left in circulation; melt them down and make dollars that size. That would work. And I doubt that you will find much interest in keeping the 50 cent piece around. In the meantime, has anyone seen the new coin? Of course not.

And it’s time for some more great quotes…

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
- Jane Caminos

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.
- Peter Ustinov

Honesty pays, but it doesn't seem to pay enough to suit some people.
- Kin Hubbard

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
- Sir Winston Churchill

A thought is often original, though you have uttered it a hundred times.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.
- Wernher von Braun

Our national flower is the concrete cloverleaf.
- Lewis Mumford

Hollywood is a place where people from Iowa mistake each other for stars.
- Fred Allen

No matter what side of the argument you are on, you always find people on your side that you wish were on the other.
- Jascha Heifetz

No comments:

Post a Comment