Monday, February 26, 2007

Truth be told

This month is just about over with and it seems as if went by in a whirl. What happened? Probably too much happened. As I’ve stated before; retirement has turned out to be far different than how I had envisioned it. Days of leisure? Nope! That’s a myth. But, as a procrastinator of the highest magnitude, I usually have only myself to blame.

I know that I have been neglecting my other blogs for the past month; not because there was very little to write about, there was plenty. But I have discovered over the years that I can’t write unless inspired. And that inspiration is a nebulous thing. I can’t summon it up; demand its presence! That’s certainly not an original thought…a million ‘would be authors’ have said the same thing.

My daughter recently posted her thoughts about writing as a possible career move. I think everyone who reads a great deal also wonders if they have what it takes to become an author. I’ve certainly done that and I continue to wonder. But I don’t believe I want to face the hard work that goes into becoming a published author. I’m retired. So I’m going to have to content myself with my every day journal and my blogs. And I do have 3 or 4 short stories that I turn to when I’m bored with the blogs and I add a paragraph or two.

Now that I’ve said that, I must admit that if a writer’s workshop became available in the near future, and locally, I would like to attend. Who knows? I might get lucky!

And now… Words of wisdom, or simply stating the obvious?

"If we were to design a system for electing a president, I don’t think we could do worse. It’s terrible."


GOV. EDWARD G. RENDELL of Pennsylvania, a Democrat, on what has become a two-year presidential election cycle.

I read that close to a BILLION dollars will be spent during this coming election. And the obvious will not be noted by the electorate…the one who spends the most will win. Instead, the triumphant masses will anoint their chosen one with all sorts of supernatural powers. “We elected him because he’s brave and smart and (fill in your own thoughts here)…” We don’t want to believe that a person can become president simply by paying for it. Yet that’s the truth of it. Always has been, always will be.

And it’s not always money that is paid, sometimes it’s promised power or access to power. That’s as good as gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment