Monday, March 19, 2007

Art in Durham

On an entirely different subject; Denise told us about a local artist that was holding a yard sale in Durham. So we decided to take a look. I’m glad we did. The gentleman was probably close to my age; older though. He had been a stone and brick mason in the Los Angeles area in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s; working on the same kind of large commercial projects that I had been working on around that time.


He was selling some of his artwork; carved stone. And tools that he no longer needed. He had built the house in Durham himself and he no longer needed a lot of the equipment he was selling. I was attracted to a large stack of black walnut rough lumber and bought that for $15. And he showed us his collection of basalt columns. In their natural state, they are fascinating; with all sorts of colors that can only be seen upon close inspection. I bought one of those, about 3’ tall, for $30. That will go in my herb garden. The black walnut will be used for a series of primitive crucifix’s (crucifii?) that I hope to make.



He was telling us that he travels quite a bit now, allowing his art to direct him to the various destinations…and paying for it. What a great deal! Now if I could only find my true artistic ‘voice’ amidst all of those that clamor for my attention.

Basalt; above

Black walnut; below

1 comment:

  1. Nice wood. Can't wait to see what you make. Rock is nice too.

    ReplyDelete