Sunday, March 18, 2007

Getting Cranky!

Should I bother to look at the news this morning? Maybe the weather would be a better choice. OK, I see that rain is forecast for the evening on Monday; a good thing for me as I just bought my annual supply of fertilizer for the orchard and will put it out on Monday, right on time! But this morning? Clear and warm.

Of course I have to look at the news; you know that I can’t go that long without my “world news fix”.

Antiwar activists march in DC

Los Angeles Times - 6 hours ago

By Faye Fiore and Adam Schreck, Times Staff Writers. WASHINGTON - They started turning out before daybreak in the bitter cold. The antiwar demonstrators amassed on the north side of the Lincoln Memorial chanting demands for peace now.

An exercise in futility. Bush has the kind of personality that won’t allow for any outside event to influence him. He won’t change his mind unless an event threatens his power and image. Surrounded by faithful sycophants, there is not much chance of that happening. He lives in a different world than you or I.

And on a more positive note, I was browsing through my journals and ran across this entry from June in 2003. I was in Kansas City at the time…

“I am watching Bill Moyers interviewing Isabel Allende and she is fascinating to listen to. She writes every day when she starts a book, every January 8th, and she uses a candle to tell her when to stop for the day. She says that she knows that the characters and the story are in her and it’s her job to write each day and let them out. If only I could do that! I wonder if you are born to be an author, a story teller, or can you develop that talent?

Isabel Allende’s granddaughter wrote in a school paper that, “her family was not very interesting, except for her grandmother, who had imagination.” Imagination? Isabel Allende’s granddaughter said this to her grandmother when Isabel questioned her about it, “You can remember what never happened” What a great quote!”

It’s still a great quote! (But didn't I post this same thing awhile ago? Oh, well!)

Is it time for me to be a cranky senior citizen? I felt the need the other day when we were in Chico and decided to stop at Mo’s for a barbecue salad lunch. And then, just after we began to eat, the kids from the local high school arrived. First, schools should have ‘closed campuses. People say they want their kids to be safe, but then they allow the school to open the gates at noon and let them go anywhere they want. Hello? If a stranger should visit the school during the day, they must check in at the office and obtain a pass. But, at noon the students are walking all over downtown, free to do anything at all, free to meet anyone at all.

Yes, I’m still cranky; the manners of these children are terrible! Hats on at the table, shoveling in food and talking at the same time. And you have to wonder who dresses these kids before they head to school? Who is raising these children?

No comments:

Post a Comment