Saturday, March 24, 2007

The Music Man

It’s early morning and I’m busily downloading music as I type here. Once again the fever of music collecting has struck me and I have spent the past few weeks gathering classical pieces. This morning it’s flamenco that has my interest. Most of it is quite old, but it has the sound I love!


I was thinking of music yesterday as we went by the furniture store and I saw that a local radio station was doing a ‘remote’ broadcast. You know; the brightly colored van and a sun shade, plus lots of signage to indicate a real happening! That reminded me of a story I heard the other day; it seems that commercial radio stations are losing their audiences at a fast clip. No one wants commercials with their music anymore and the iPod has made that possible. Get in your car, plug in the iPod and you never have to hear those whiny DJ’s ever again! I can burn CD’s that will play for about 4 hours by recording up to 120 MP3’s on them. 2 CD’s and I can drive the length of the state without hearing a commercial.


I would say that the whole music industry is in a state of flux right now. Dramatic. Commercial music radio has to change or it will die. Nothing wrong with that. And you can use streaming audio DJ sites on the internet to program exactly what you want to hear for free. Although the recording industry is trying to force the internet music sites to pay full price for the privilege of playing their music, that won’t last long. Those sites will simply move ‘offshore’ and life will continue as before.


So where is the advertising dollar going to go? Which industry can prove that people are watching and listening to the ads? Newspapers are disappearing. Does anyone listen to AM radio? FM radio is on its way out. Pop up blockers cancel out a lot of ads. So does Tivo. Satellite radio is in trouble. Oh gosh! What will we do without advertising?

On a different subject altogether; we had a chance to visit with our great grandson yesterday. Colum, all of 3 months, going on 4 months…is a bright and cheerful chubby baby! One of the nice things about seeing Colum yesterday was the fact that we weren’t using wheelchairs, walkers or canes while visiting with him. Cool!

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of advertising, our new HP laptop came with icons for dozens of games. When you click on them, a picture of a token is placed in a slot and says I have a free game compliments of "Olay Regenerist". I watch a 10 second spiel and they paid for my game! I thought, wow, what used to be free now costs a few moments of my time. Of course, I am also invited to buy the game and not listen to the ads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty neat! If only all advertizing could be that painless...

    ReplyDelete