Thursday, April 26, 2007

When Life hands You Lemons...

Besides irrigating, I also got a start in the garden; rototilling a section and beginning the cleanup of the raised beds. I want to continue that today and get the ground ready for the gourds that I bought. I have those seeds sprouting (hopefully) in the greenhouse at the Plant Barn. And I would like to build two more raised beds.

But, at the top of my chores list today is “make lemon bars” for the blood drive this afternoon. I’m using the recipe that Erin gave me and I have garnered a fair amount of fame here in Orland for my lemon bar baking skills. I just use a little bit more lemon than is called for (I use the zest of two lemons and not one.) and that makes the difference. In fact, today I’m going to add ½ tsp of lemon extract to the crust portion of the recipe. I know a lot of that will evaporate during the baking, but a hint of lemon should remain within the crust. I was also thinking of making a lime bar…almost the same recipe, but adding lime zest and green food color to accentuate the difference.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:20 AM

    I'll have to try it with the extra zest, just wish we had a lemon tree! Let me know how the lime bars turn out...happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:02 PM

    that last comment was from me, Erin...

    ReplyDelete