Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Acting

The north wind continues to blow. The EVIL north wind continues to blow. I looked out the window yesterday and saw my weed blocking fabric sailing across the garden. All of the stakes had been ripped out. One minute and all of my work was undone. I have a 20’x20’ area set aside for growing gourds and the weed block fabric was defining this area for me. All very neat. After about 15 minutes of unraveling twisted fabric and gathering bricks to lay upon it, we had the garden shipshape once again. It’s still too dark to see if the fabric is in place this morning, I can only hope.

Speaking of work; I ran across this memorable quote that puts work into proper perspective.

“What is work? Work is of two kinds: first, altering the position of matter at or near the earth's surface relatively to other such matter; second, telling other people to do so.” - Bertrand Russell. (I prefer the second.)

Another family member has decided to explore their creative side; writing for their own blog. Denise started one a few days ago and here’s the link. So why do we blog? (I still wish there was a better word for it. ‘Blog’ just seems clumsy. It’s only one letter away from ‘blob’ or ‘clog’.) I think I once explained that I do it as a minor form of communication. Idle chatter mixed in with things I consider serious. It’s exactly the same conversation I would have with you if we were face to face.

When compared to blogs, phone calls are rarely honest. We feel compelled to put a positive spin on everything we say. “I’m just fine…how about yourself?” “Yes, that would be great!” Our voices are on a stage and we must act.

No comments:

Post a Comment