Monday, June 18, 2007

Very Cool

The portable fans (noisy!) are pulling in the cool air and the temperature inside has dropped from 80 down to 73 in the last hour. It’s not as efficient as a ‘whole house fan’ might be, but it certainly helps. Outside, the temperatures are going to stay in the mid 90’s this week and the wind is supposed to die down. And then summer begins…

Granddaughter Meghan, who just turned 13, is flying off to New York City this week. It’s a school sponsored trip and she will have her dad flying along with her. Naturally I think about my one trip to that city and I wonder if it has changed? (It has) Would I like to visit there again? I would… there’s a certain energy that comes from places like New York, San Francisco, Chicago and Los Angeles. The big cities. And it’s exciting to get close to that energy for a brief time. It definitely expands the mind!

Technically, I have been to that city twice. The first time I drove, coming in across the Throgs Neck Bridge, from Connecticut, and onto the island of Manhattan, where I soon realized that I never should have driven! The second time, I flew over the city in a helicopter as I made my way from Newark airport to JFK. The helicopter flew low enough for me to see the people on the streets and in the office buildings that we passed. I could feel the energy, even at 1,000 feet above the streets.

It might seem odd to some… but first on my list of sights to see if I were to go to New York City would be MoMA. Not much else would attract me as much as that place does! Second, would be to stroll the neighborhoods; where the people live. I would love to see the hundreds of small shops. After that, I’m open to suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment