Sunday, September 16, 2007

Clear or Cloudy?

Of course I have to look at the weather forecast first thing in the morning. Why? It’s going to be what it’s going to be and it will only vaguely resemble the forecast. I wonder if ancient man would spend as much time thinking about the weather as his descendants now do? OK, it’s going to be 83 today and sunny. Does it matter?

Summer continues. I am really looking forward to some rain and I don’t see any of that in the long range forecast. Rain would wash away the dust from the harvest and from the roads. We were following a truck loaded with almonds yesterday as we went into Chico and the almonds were dropping off the truck on a regular basis, along with the dirt that goes with them.

The big news this weekend is all about the new Greenspan book. Mr. Greenspan has a best seller on his hands! I will watch for it at the library. And here are some of the headlines…

Bush's spending 'out of control': Greenspan

ABC Online, Australia - Sep 15, 2007

The man who served for nearly two decades as chairman of the Federal Reserve in the United States, Alan Greenspan, has delivered a scathing attack on US ...

Greenspan says GOP "deserved to lose"

Chicago Tribune, United States - Sep 15, 2007

By William Neikirk Alan Greenspan's new memoir is tough on Republicans and President Bush and it could be turned into a campaign manifesto for Democrats in ...

Greenspan Book Criticizes Bush And Republicans
Wall Street Journal - Sep 14, 2007
By GREG IP and EMILY STEEL In a withering critique of his fellow Republicans, former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan says in his memoir that the ...

Greenspan: Interest rates need to go to double-digits
USA Today - Sep 14, 2007
By Barbara Hagenbaugh, USA TODAY WASHINGTON — Former Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan predicts in a new book out Monday that the Fed will have to raise interest ...

Greenspan Comes Clean: Iraq Invasion Was About Oil

Does this mean that Alan won’t be invited to any barbecues at the ranch in Crawford? To be honest, I don’t see Alan as a barbecue kind of guy anyway.

Mr. Greenspan’s book would go well with the book I am currently reading, Web of Deceit, by Barry Lando. Now that’s a book that everyone should read.

Odd; I am listening to my small scanner radio that sits here by the telephone and I keep hearing reports of various crimes and misdemeanors around the valley. It’s 5:30 in the morning on a Sunday. What’s with that? I always thought the criminal element was in bed after 2 or 3 in the morning. Or do they set their alarms and get up early?

I don’t usually listen closely to the scanner, it’s just a noise that I know I can focus on if I want to… and I do hear some funny stuff on the scanner! Yesterday, there was a neighborhood argument involving several families and a rowdy rooster that required the services of a deputy. Oh, I know it’s all very serious to the parties concerned, but since I can’t see them, I get to laugh.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:31 AM

    Greenspan was on 60 minutes last night and, although he says he is a Republican, he really nailed them in the report. He also gave kudos to President Clinton. He said Clinton had other problems but he did a lot to get the nation to be fiscally responsible and left Bush with a nice surplus, which he promptly used for his "tax cut" and never stopped spending. He has left us with a dangerous deficit and has still not rolled back the tax cut. He is an interesting guy. Everyone wants him to keep his mouth shut as his word still has lots of power over the financial markets, but he says he is going to keep speaking out.

    ReplyDelete