Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Tip for the day

Starting my day as usual. Reading the feeds. And I have renamed the Time Goes By blog to As Time Goes By so that it’s closer to the top of my list. This mornings post has a book review that made me think. And I think I will order the book. I haven’t been retired so long that I couldn’t use a tip or two on how to do it more efficiently.

I spend a lot of time with seniors. That is something I never thought would happen, yet here I am, almost 4 years into retirement and I work on the board of directors for the Glenn County Senior Citizens. It’s a learning time. And I’m learning from what I see are mistakes by so many of the seniors. Far too many of them want to live in the past. Others think it’s their duty to ‘act elderly’, whatever that means?

To clarify; I like being my age. It’s challenging as no other period of my life has been. And because it’s the final quarter, it is the most interesting. It seems to sharpen my mind, not dull it. I do look back on other periods of life with great fondness and I love the memories. I could tell you stories all day long! (Don’t tempt me or I will…) But, I would never wish to return to those days. As I look at the ending of my time here, I only regret not being able to see what life has in store for my children, grandchildren and great-grandchild. What marvelous adventures are ahead for them!

Now that I have said all of that. I am also in the process of learning to be who I want to be, (Apparently, this never ends…until) and every senior citizen should be free to do that. If they want to live in the past…so be it and God bless them! Just don’t ask me to do it.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:14 PM

    I've often wondered if one ever feels completely grown up... It's nice to know that even retirees still do some identity-searching. I guess we're never really done, we age and grow and age and grow.

    ReplyDelete