Sunday, November 25, 2007

Eavesdrop Writer

Giving Before Receiving

Another excellent story...

I do the same thing here on the Planet Orland, but at Christmas time. You can't help but wonder at the stories behind the faces you see in line. And I can't begin to count the number of times I've had to carry out the food boxes and found the men? of the family sitting in the car. What's even sadder... men and boys will be in the car, waiting. Women and girls come inside to get the food. And so it perpetuates through the generations.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:55 PM

    Hello Steven, thank you very much for linking to my post here on your great blog. I like how you put it - wondering at the stories behind the faces in line. That's very interesting what you've observed about the genders. Interesting and disappointing. I cannot imagine my Dad or boyfriend sending me off to fetch the food. No matter how ashamed or tired they'd be, they would swallow their pride and get it themselves. I'd like to think we'd never be in that situation in the first place, but one never really knows. At least I can be certain of their character in good times and bad. That's something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to think it was simply cultural...Hispanic 'macho' culture. But I've seen enough Anglo men sitting in the car to know I was wrong. Years ago, I was mad at the men, now I'm simply sad. I feel sorry for them. Which, if they knew that...would probably infuriate them!

    ReplyDelete