Friday, November 2, 2007

How Grand!

...Cat on my lap. Ack! This makes it very difficult to type, but I persist and she soon grows tired of the ‘Clack. Clack’ of the keyboard and wanders off to the guest bedroom for a snooze. But, like me, she’s a creature of habit and she will return tomorrow morning and we will go through the same routine.


And I’m trying to become habitual in my exercise routines. I got in a good 3+ miles yesterday, even with a ‘gimpy’ leg. When I left the house, my intention was to walk slowly through the park, favoring my leg. I was going to take pictures and simply enjoy the fall scenery. But… since my leg felt pretty good, I was soon into walking fast. I didn’t get into a full racewalking gait, simply walking very fast and stopping for photos every now and then.

This weekend in Chico features the running of the 33rd annual Almond Bowl 5 and 10K. And I won’t be there. My official excuse is that I’m going to be in Susanville over the weekend, visiting son and grandchildren… but the truth is that I’m not really ready for it. Next year. Besides, I have plenty of t-shirts!


I don’t remember what linked me to the National Blog Posting Month website, but there I was and so I joined. A post per day for a month seems easy enough. I can do that in my sleep and some would say that I do.


As usual, I began my day with Time Goes By and found this…


“I don’t want to do anything that will change what I am physically becoming. I’m too curious to see how my face and body will age to do that. And if one gets caught up in the cultural and media imperative to behave in a younger manner than one feels, then the inner experience of getting old will be lost in the attempt to be something you are not.”


Amen to that. I, surprisingly, found myself becoming more curious than alarmed when I began to notice the effects of aging on my body. I had always wondered how old men with wrinkled faces shaved; now I know, and it’s really quite easy.


Sure, not all of the effects of aging are as benign as wrinkles and gray hair. But most are simply minor irritants in a grand experience.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:22 PM

    Getting old is the most interesting time of life I've lived through. It is so much richer than when I was younger and believed I would live forever. And with all our similarities, we old folks are so much different from one another than when we were younger.

    Thank you for the link.

    BTW, how DO you shave with wrinkles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:12 PM

    Oh, that's easy. Just forget that they're there.

    ReplyDelete