Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Hype. Hype. Hype.

Kindle. Kindle. Kindle. That’s all I see in the news today. And what a great idea! I love it! But… here’s my fear. I buy it and it doesn’t do everything quite as well as it has been hyped. Close. Sure! But, not the whole enchilada. I don’t want to be disappointed, I want to be delighted. And when you see this kind of promotion, and if you buy into it…all the way; there’s a good chance that you will be disappointed. OK, so I’m a cynic. And I will wait for my sister to review it!

Books would be nice to read on Kindle, but I was more excited about reading the newspapers with it. Sitting in the coffee shop (the old railroad car next to the Chico Art Center) with a pot of Jamaican Red tea and the latest New York Times. How could it get any better than that?

And yesterday, while I was waiting for Laurae to get her hair cut, I sat down with a cup of coffee and the Sacramento Bee. All was fine until I noticed that I was reading a USED copy! I paid my money and took the second paper down from the top and I still ended up with a USED paper! Maddening… but if I had a Kindle, my electronic paper would be fresh and complete. And it wouldn’t turn my fingers black.

And speaking of books, I was in Chico today for my usual library run and I picked up a box of books to put in the truck, and right there, on top, was the book, Treason, by Ann Coulter. So what should I do? Toss it into the shrubs over there by the door? There were a couple of trash cans nearby as well. Was anyone watching? OK, I know I should have, but I couldn’t. Even when the author is an idiot, it’s a free country and she should be free to practice her idiocy. Although she doesn’t need much more practice… she’s got it down!

2 comments:

  1. I read a few reviews of Kindle and some were not so kind. One big complaint was that you would have to pay for the content, like newspapers or books (books at under 9.99). Since you can get newspapers online for free,I can sort of see that point but overall I didn't understand the complaint unless the complaining writers did not want other writers to get paid for their works any more. Eventually there might be a device to get a book from the library and after 2 weeks (if you don't renew) it just fades away. If you could buy the book from Amazon with your Kindle then download it to another person's Kindle (lending a book)wouldn't that be nice? A little pricey yet for my pocketbook but I still want one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:30 AM

    Good point. Lending a book. I have a feeling that would never be possible. (until the first of the 'crackers' get to it)

    And for 'Best Sellers', I'm addicted to the library for those. Much cheaper.

    Kindle? I'm still afraid of being disappointed. And so I will wait. For your review...

    ReplyDelete