Friday, February 1, 2008

No Experience Needed

The day begins in the usual manner. Coffee and news. Except that this morning I’m listening to the news via my new Clip at the same time I’m reading about it. News junkie. On a new level.

OK, that doesn’t work as well as I thought it might. So I’ve turned off the radio and removed the ear buds. My brain doesn’t multi-task all that well anymore. I can listen to music (no vocals) while reading but I can’t listen to the BBC.

The news is certainly focused on the two Democrats as Super Tuesday looms ever closer. I wonder if either one will make it to the Planet Orland before that day? Somehow I don’t think so. Not that it would make much difference for us as our ballots are already sealed and mailed. Election is over.

It’s definitely a historic moment; race and gender making a statement for the first time. But isn’t that a shame? What has taken us so long to evolve? But, I have heard terrible stories about what might happen to either one of the candidates if they should win. Obviously not everyone has evolved. I know from my travels in the South that racism is alive there. And it’s alive on the Planet Orland as well. I can say the same thing about patriarchy; it’s far too prevalent.

From what I read this morning, the focus at last nights debate was on experience; Clinton has it and Obama doesn’t? That argument is misleading. And an insult to our intelligence. No one has the experience to be the president for the first time. We know that the president doesn’t do his job all by himself. Every president surrounds himself with advisors and other staff to help. We’re kidding ourselves if we think that every decision that comes from the White House has been seen and approved by the president. It simply doesn’t happen. As we’ve seen during the last presidency, it’s the advisors that we should be worried about. What experience do they have?

No comments:

Post a Comment