Monday, March 31, 2008

Deep in the jungle

Of course I started my day with a visit to Time Goes By where Crabby Old Lady was venting about copyrights. What a complicated subject! And without a lot of history to it. I doubt that there was much copyright law being debated 200 years ago. And the internet has made it into a whole new ballgame. For instance, every image you see on your screen has been loaded onto your hard drive. For a little while, it’s in your possession. If you disconnect from the internet and search the internet cache files, there they are; the photos and the songs that some web page downloaded to your hard drive. And without some disclaimer in evidence, how does the law handle that? Seeking something out to copy it for your own financial gain, would and should be illegal. But what do you do when someone gives you that song or image?

Yes, it’s a copyright jungle out there! I can lend you my books, my CD’s and my videos. Or I can go to the library and take them home from there. Where is that line that defines ‘illegal’? I’m probably not the right one to discuss this subject; I’m of the opinion that entertainers of any kind, including sports entertainers, should be looking for day jobs.

In the meantime, I still try to link everything and give credit where due. Though I must admit that not every image gets credited. Most, but not all.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:43 AM

    "I’m of the opinion that entertainers of any kind, including sports entertainers, should be looking for day jobs."

    Heh, heh! Love it it:

    ReplyDelete