Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Froggy

the Gremlin

I think you have to be over 65 to appreciate any of this...Smilin' Ed and his Gang were my favorites on Saturday mornings. (Andy Devine was an impostor!) And although we rarely wore shoes at all in the 1940's, it was a treat to buy some Buster Brown's as that meant you could step up onto the Fluoroscope machine that would allow you to see the bones in your feet. Too cool!

And once the shoes were purchased, they went into the closet, not to be worn again unless you were forced into them.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:28 AM

    You don't have to be quite 65 to remember the fluoroscope. At the shoe store in downtown Manhattan Beach, it was placed in the center of the store. Unfortunately, I could never see my own feet. If I had my feet in the machine, I could not see through the eyepiece. If I saw through the eyepiece, my feet were about 4 inches above the bottom of the machine. You are right, shoes were only worn from September to May. And the first few weeks of school brought painful blisters on your heels and toes

    ReplyDelete
  2. September to May were the months you wore shoes to school...but not after school. Shoes were off by 3 PM.

    ReplyDelete