Monday, May 26, 2008

Odds and Ends VII

Coffee time. I’ve verified that the world is still all present and accounted for, although it’s not in the same shape as when I went to bed last night. As usual, there’s been some damage. With a fresh cup in hand, it’s time to enjoy the morning by browsing the net for fun stuff, if there is any.

I’m still reading Nemesis by Chalmers Johnson. It’s a good book for a Memorial Day weekend. I’ll have it finished by this afternoon and then it will be time to read something less enlightening; less frightening. No, it’s not a fiction thriller. I only wish it were.

I’m also listening to the police scanner radio this morning for all of the local news. There’s a lot of excitement this morning as an apparent hit and run victim has been found in the roadway. Which road? Medical aid has been called for and there’s only conjecture so far as to why the victim was found in the middle of the road. Okay, it’s Dayton Road but I missed the cross street. Hmm? It’s 5 in the morning on a holiday weekend. Why was the victim walking down a country road at that hour? More to come…

Also, I glimpsed a headline that noted that it would save lots of fuel if telecommuting were to become more popular. Perhaps it’s time? There’s always that resistance that the ‘boss’ feels; he or she wants to see bodies, but if they could get past their egos and see the advantages, it would definitely save money and fuel. Money for the bottom line. When I first got into the IT business, my boss told me that I couldn’t work from home because…he couldn’t. Luckily, that didn’t last long and I soon switched departments and was able to do lots of work from home. My former boss was still angry about it and made sure that he gave me a bad time whenever he had an opportunity to do so. Ego always trumps wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment