Sunday, September 28, 2008

Out of Touch

Out of touch? Yes, I think that describes McCain perfectly. With thirty years in the Senate, how else could he be described? Have you ever been around political types? You have to remember that they are all ego driven. It’s a rare bird indeed that goes into politics for the good of the country. Being what they are; political animals, they are always focused on themselves and rarely care about the voters except as potential votes to keep them in office. So how do they do that? Stay in office? Well, they don’t do it by working for the common good. That attracts too much attention from the special interests and they will attack if irritated. So they walk a narrow line between the various groups, trying to keep them all satisfied just enough to keep their support. The people in the middle? You and I? I don’t know about you, but I don’t belong to any group and so I’m voiceless. And I have never seen any of my political representatives. Ever. OK, I better take that back, I did see State Senator ‘Bizz’ Johnson once every year when we lived in Janesville. He would ride in a convertible down Main Street in Susanville when the Lassen County Fair opened.


Let’s say that you were lucky enough to live in a city big enough to attract a U.S. Senator to visit, would you ever actually see the Senator? Or would the Senator only be present at the Rotary luncheon or the Chamber of Commerce breakfast? Duh! Yes, he will be where the money is. And that doesn’t include stopping by your place to see how you’re doing.


Now how many houses does John McCain have? And he’s not sure of what it takes to be called ‘rich’? I would have to say he hasn’t been in your neighborhood recently.


I was just thinking of how the candidates try so hard to be just one of us. But it only happens while they are the ‘candidate’. And what kind of voters are we? We insist that the candidates appear to be ‘common’ although we seem quite happy (ignorant?) with the fact that they never really were and never will be. It’s all smoke and mirrors. Reminds me of Oz.

No comments:

Post a Comment