Wednesday, October 1, 2008


The Dell problems continue. And I’m still sending notes to India. These are always returned 24 hours later with another cryptic message requiring me to send yet another mail. Which is returned 24 hours later. Ad infinitum.

Currently I have the computer and the monitor, but I’m missing the keyboard, mouse and router. The last message from India was heartening. I might see those items within 8 business days. Eight. In the meantime the monitor sits next to me; blank. The computer is only a footrest for now; silent.

What has happened to Dell? I used to be a Dell cheerleader. If anyone asked me for advice about computer purchases, my answer was always the same; buy a Dell. At the company where I used to work as an IT guy and all around geek, I was ecstatic when our CFO told me that he was going to buy Dell from that point on; no more IBM clones! And I loved being able to work on a Dell; they were all the same inside and there were no surprises when you opened the case. Eventually we were buying close to $2 million dollars worth of Dell equipment each year and life was good! For us and presumably, for Dell.

It’s certainly not the same company. Dell has had my money for a couple of weeks now and I have half a computer and I’m looking at another week of this. I guess I will have to gain some sort of satisfaction by trying as best I can to persuade at least one person to NOT buy a Dell. That’s my goal.

2 comments:

  1. I'm seriously considering buying an Apple laptop. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:44 AM

    I think it sounds very good. I have a philosophical difference with Apple but I admire their products. And if you're not interested in negotiating a 'learning curve'...Apple does Windows. And Office.

    ReplyDelete