Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Prop 8

A thought; why is it that so many women ('right' thinking women) seemed to have forgotten that it wasn't that long ago that they were forbidden to vote, to own property, to control their lives… yet some would vote today do the same to couple's of the same gender that only wish to be treated equally under the Constitution. It was just 40 years ago that the Women's Movement began in the USA. As with all movements that affect the social order, plenty of mistakes were made on both sides. Should we do that again? Or can we learn from the past?

I will answer my own question. It's not women at fault here. It's not gender specific at all; neither men nor women can see past their noses when it comes to history.

In my opinion, the state never should have been involved in religious ceremony; weddings. The state should have issued licenses for unions only. After that it would be up to the couples to decide whether or not to be wed. In the religious tradition of their choosing… or not. In other words, it's none of our business! Can you imagine anyone saying that Protestant weddings are the only ones that should be legal? Catholic weddings? That is how we thought 200 years ago. Isn't it time to move on?

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:26 AM

    We have prop 102 where they want to actually change the State Constitution to say "Only a union of one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in this state". They use scare tactics that unless this is passed, many textbooks will need to be changed to include all types of marriage when children learn about marriage in school. Well first, I never learned about marriage in school and second shouldn't all types of cultures, religions, marriages, families be recognized as the melting pot that is diversity? I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neither do I...

    And if we learned about marriage in school, we're really in trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem that I have with prop * is in the first two words of the proposition: "Eliminates rights...". Regardless of what I choose for my own lifestyle, and regardless of what I think of other people's lifestyles, I will never think it is my right or duty to eleminate anyone else's rights, just because they aren't in sync with the general way of thinking.

    The narrowminds of this state disgust me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please excuse my typos - I'm on my final hour of the day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:38 PM

    THANK YOU Shannon for bloody hitting the issue right on the head. NO ONE should strip away another person's rights just because they don't agree with that person's lifestyle.

    They say they're restoring traditional marriage; I hear bigotry. Marriage predates religion and politics. They say they're upholding morality; I hear hypocrisy. What moral right does anyone have to strip away the rights of a fellow citizen.

    ReplyDelete