Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Business As Usual?

I'm worried. Yes, I voted and I know that polls show that Obama is leading McCain. But when you live in a 'Red' region, like Glenn/Butte/Tehama counties, you certainly can feel like a minority. Agriculture is the economic force in these counties, as it is throughout the Central Valley. And wherever you have agriculture, you have poverty. That means that political power is in the hands of a few; the farmers and ranchers. They have the power of the 'purse' and they use it to perpetuate their hold on the region. They aren't necessarily evil people; agriculture requires lots of land and it doesn't require a lot of skilled workers to labor upon it. And last; I chose to live here.

 So I was glad to read this article this morning. It's nice to know that Obama does understand agriculture and agribusiness and that there is a difference between them.

No comments:

Post a Comment