Thursday, November 13, 2008

Don’t Worry! Be Happy!

Reading the news. How depressing. And what will the stock market do today? On a related note; I wonder how my Senator/Representative's retirement plans are doing? I'd hate to have them worried during these trying times.

And speaking of 'government' as I was, I wandered through the Medicare web pages last night in search of information. I know; silly me… a fool's errand! But I had to see if I could navigate through the twists and turns of bureaucratic jargon and acronyms. What a trip! (They have a webpage devoted to acronyms…hundreds of them! Which you can download onto an Excel spreadsheet…if you wanted to. Why?)

You couldn't have designed a worse website than this if you had tried for years. But…they had a head start. They were writing stuff like this long before there was an internet. All I wanted to know was whether or not a specific procedure would be paid for. Shouldn't you be able to look up the procedure by its name or names and read a 'Yes' or a 'No'?

Today my search continues. I'm hoping that I will find a web page that will translate the Medicare pages for me.

Link for Medicare

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, even with "socialized" healthcare in Canada, we still have the same problem! I don't understand why the insurer (in our case, the guvmint) is so secretive about what they'll cover and what they won't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure makes decision making/budgeting tough.

    "Should I have a heart transplant this year? Or next?"

    ReplyDelete