Saturday, November 1, 2008

That’s It

The other day I was being introspective and came up with this thought. Or, a question which I then answered. Who am I? Well, I am first and foremost, a human. Living today. Living in this moment of time. Things I am not; I'm not my father or my mother. I'm not my grandparent's. I'm a product of my environment and how I perceive myself. And this changes constantly. I'm not a Scot, nor am I an Englishman. I have relatives that were born in those places but they were only human as well. You can't inherit 'Englishness'. Or 'Hungarianness'. Sure, it's fun to assume the role of Scotsman but it's only play acting. There are no Scottish genetic 'traits', just as there are no Chinese or Russian genetic 'traits'. You can only be human. Everything else is culture and your choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment