Saturday, December 20, 2008

Darn it!

I was certainly having a snit yesterday. I couldn't find my rose colored glasses anywhere! Don't know why. I guess I had just overdosed on reality. There's a lot of that going around these days…

So I was listening to Science Friday yesterday and although I didn't hear it all, what I did hear was interesting - as usual. One of the more interesting segments dealt with Social Media in 2008 and a thought or two about where it's going. Part of that story was about, "The PC is dead; long live (some other device)!" I'm still of the opinion that the PC will be around for a very long time, despite the rise in cloud computing. There was also a prediction that the various social media platforms will soon be able to 'talk' to each other seamlessly. Twitter and Facebook do that right now. The only thing that is slowing down that integration is the fact that we're so far behind the rest of the world in internet connectivity and speed. I think I heard that we are 15th… or 16th. Sad.

That fact makes me even more aware of just how tenuous our leading position is in science. I have this bad feeling that some 'yahoo' Senators and Representatives will do their best to kill any appropriations for the advancement of science. Now is the time to fund the exploration of space and new technology, not spend the money on funding another few months of GM/Chrysler hawking trucks to us… Can you say, 'The Dark Ages'?

OK, so I'm in a snit again.

Link to Science Friday

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:48 AM

    But listening to Science Friday yesterday, many were hopeful since Barrack filled half his appointed posts with people that actually believe in science! Time to be hopeful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True. You have a good point. But some Representative from Booger Hollow can still tie up the purse strings pretty good. Yes, there really is a Booger Hollow and it's in Arkansas...

    ReplyDelete