Monday, February 9, 2009

Humanity First

For some reason I've found myself being irritated and frustrated by the recent rise in tribalism in the world. Or is it really recent? Probably not; it's just the same old thing, going on year after year. I think my frustration may have to do with some of the books I've been reading recently more than anything else. And since tribalism is still so prevalent, I wonder if it isn't genetic? I've always assumed it was cultural and education could remove it, but even though we have become statistically 'smarter' we have not given up our hold on tribalism. It's as strong as it ever was.

As I was pondering this, I had a thought; suppose I went to the Mexican/American tribal border and stepped across that arbitrary line. A line created by man and not nature; an invisible line. I take up citizenship. Then I return to the line and step across. What has changed? Aren't I still me? Just another human being? According to the 'tribalists' I have changed somehow and I'm no longer welcome. All I have to do is reveal the name of my new tribe, 'Mexican' and I'm ostracized. Does that make any sense at all? No.

No comments:

Post a Comment