Saturday, February 28, 2009

Yes, it does

Life goes on. And once more I'm searching for words. It must be the winter doldrums that have me staring at my monitor while my fingers remain motionless on the keyboard. Hello? Anyone home in there?

Maybe I should try some outrageous quotations; just to get the mind in gear. Make of them what you will…

Some fellows get credit for being conservative when they are only stupid. - Kin Hubbard

A religious conservative is a fanatic about a dead radical. - Anonymous

I do not know which makes a man more conservative—to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past.  - John Maynard Keynes

Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives. - John Stuart Mill

Now to compound my difficulties, Boo the Cat has claimed my lap for her throne, which makes typing problematic. (If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer.  - Alfred North Whitehead)

I did hear a story on the radio yesterday that got my attention. Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has authorized the Russian Army to shoot & kill demonstrators. Crowd control is off the table and deadly force is now on. The story included the fact that 'legal' demonstrations would be allowed. Now there is an oxymoron!

It made me think about the status of demonstrations here in America; Odd, but most Americans are of the same mind as the Russians. Legal would be fine, thank you very much. But illegal demonstrations should not be allowed. Luckily, only a few Americans would support the use of deadly force to keep demonstrators off of the streets. It's as if we have blinders on…demonstrations are as American as apple pie! They are demonstrable symbols of our freedom. Imagine an America where we are afraid to show dissent because we might be killed for it. It has happened here in our past. Think
Kent State.

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment