Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Reading

Due to my 'infirmities' I have been reading more than I ever have in my life. I've been going through the books at our local library at a furious pace and although I had good intentions of recording all of the titles on my Shelfari web page, it never happened. I added a hundred or so titles and then forgot for awhile and then it seemed like a wasted effort to try and catch up, so I didn't.

Ah! Thank goodness for the local library. Though it's a small town and located in a poor county, the library is still open. We're suffering through some abbreviated hours, but the head librarian decided, on her own, to help the budget process by retiring early. I think that helped immensely. And she still shows up once a week to help out.

Yesterday was one of the abbreviated days at the library and we forgot, so we had to make two trips to town for me to return the books and then plunder the New Book section. Unlike a lot of libraries, we can take as many new books as we want and I wanted five new books yesterday. One caught my eye just as I was about to leave and I grabbed it, a large paperback titled 'King Leopold's Ghost'. When I got home I read the Intro and was fascinated. I think I'm going to like this one.

Now that I've done some research, I find that the book is eleven years old and an award winning documentary was filmed three years ago. Sigh. OK, that's the downside of a small town library. The book was new…to our library. And to me. That's the important part.

No comments:

Post a Comment