Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Mr. Postman

delivers bundle of bad news - washingtonpost.com

What do I think? I think it's it's time to go. It's a buggywhip industry in the 21st century. What does the postal service do that can't be done better, faster and cheaper by competing services. For those who never have to go to the post office, the exposure to USPS bad manners is minimal, but for those of us who use a PO box, we dread seeing one of those yellow slips in our box which means that we will have to get in line and confront the staff in person. Rarely pleasant! If it were truly a private industry, it would only be a memory by now...

4 comments:

  1. I worked for the Postal Service. I was a carrier so people like to see me coming. The clerks had a bad reputation for grumpiness but they were overworked. That was Postal management philosophy: never have enough people to do the job. I think the Postal Service gets a bad rap and is wrongly labeled snail mail. I wish I had a dollar for every time a Fedex or UPS driver stopped me to ask for directions. The Republicans have been after the Service for years because they see a boat load of cash that can be diverted to the private sector.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We never see our carrier as he drives by pretty fast. Haven't exchanged a dozen words with him in six years. Now the clerks are still the same as when you were a carrier.

    Of course I'm old to remember twice a day service and the carrier came to the door...we loved him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does he throw the mail out as he goes by like the carrier in "Funny Farm"?
    I run into some of my old customers at Walmart. They aren't happy with the younger carriers. Not the same work ethic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He may not throw it out but he certainly wastes no time. We often find the box door open.
    Odd: We see him delivering mail in other parts of the area at 9 or 10 in the morning, which means he has it in his car by 8:30? We can't get today's mail in our PO box in town till after 11.

    ReplyDelete