Friday, June 11, 2010

Feature Story - Chico News & Review

The fear factory

We were enjoying our usual Friday morning coffee and a treat at the Cafe Ricci, our current favorite coffee house, when I began to read this story. It's written by one of my favorite local authors, Jaime O'Neill and so I was assured that it would be a good read. And it was...except for the fact that the subject matter had me feeling nauseated in no time at all. Some of his examples of 'hate speech' by local residents were enough to make me wonder what and who had spawned these people. Truly.

Mr. O'Neill references the McCarthy era and I was present during those times and although I was young (born in 1940) I was hoping that we would never see that kind of evil paranoia again, but now it looks like those days were a cakewalk. And it all comes from the 'conservative' mindset; as hatred always does.

No comments:

Post a Comment