Friday, August 6, 2010

Hold your nose

Since our house remains unsold, we make the thirty minute trip into Chico every morning for our hour+ walk in the park. And on those trips we have noticed chemical spraying at all of the orchards we pass through. The car windows are up and we're using recirculating air for cooling and yet the sharp odor of these chemicals makes its way in. Some mornings are worse than others. The road is a state highway that connects two major valley arteries, I-5 and US 99, and quite often the ranchers will use helicopters to spray and it's when they are spraying that the odors are the strongest. When we see the workers directly involved with the spraying, they are wearing full protective gear. Those workers not directly involved are not protected. Nor are we.

3 comments:

  1. another reason to have a garden and grow your own.....I don't eat any fruit or veggies that are not certified organic! Not ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The effort to find out who owns those orchards and what they spray with, and, to then contact the EPA, etc., almost sounds like more trouble than it's worth at our age.

    Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Age does play a part. I'm wise enough to know that tackling a bureaucracy requires more patience than I have. Plus, I would have to start with the local Air Quality Management District and I'm guessing it's filled with 'good old boys'. I base that opinion on the blatant violations I see around here. Another reason for our move...as soon as we sell the darned house!

    ReplyDelete