Thursday, January 5, 2012

Pain free?

I haven't mentioned the fact that I have been pain and narcotic free for the past five weeks. Which is very odd because I am NOT using the Spinal Cord Stimulator that is implanted in my back. I check its battery every once in awhile but it never changes. What a waste of pain and tears that was! I am still using Gabapentin, a lot of it. And I've been told that I will always need it. My PA and I have decided to try cutting back on the Gabapentin and see what happens. It would be great if I could cut the dosage in half.
Back to the pain or lack thereof...I still get twinges of pain but not enough to warrant a Percocet or Norco. Now here's the odd part; since I had pain constantly for four years, I'm not sure that I like its absence. I'm wary of this new situation and would feel better if everything was back to the way it was. I know, it doesn't make sense but the pain was 'mine' and I knew how to manage it. It was familiar and this new feeling; no pain, is suspicious.
I know that nerves can grow new pathways and perhaps that is part of the explanation for the lack of pain. I guess I should just try getting used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment