Thursday, April 5, 2012

Nostalgia

As I age, I try not to spend a lot of time in the past but there are times when it's unavoidable. Such as right now. I was born in 1940 and grew up in the boom times of the 50's. California had a memorable Governor then in Earl Warren followed by Pat Brown. We had a world class educational system that was envied by many. In the 60's, after coming home from a stint in the Navy, I became a Union Carpenter and work was so plentiful that I had only one week long vacation in  the 13 years that I stayed in Southern California. Life was good! We bought a house and then disaster struck; Ronald Reagan became Governor. We simply thought him a fool and didn't realize how evil he really was until it was too late. The State began to slide downhill. And slide. And slide. Now here we are in the 21st century and the state is close to bankruptcy. Our educational system is in tatters.
Why did I start this rant? Because I just read that our state court system has given up on trying to digitize their records so that paperwork can be exchanged between courts and prosecutors statewide in a computer system.  I can't even begin to name all the corporations, states and nations that have done this and yet we have failed. In the state that is (was) synonymous with computers and innovation. How sad. And that's why I don't like to dwell in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment