Sunday, June 7, 2015

I've been profiled...

I was recently interviewed for our local Art Association's newsletter. It was an interesting process as I had never been 'interviewed' before. The interviewer was an artist as well and it was easy to answer the questions she gave me. After awhile I forgot that she was doing a job and I was disappointed that she had to go. The articles are published once a month and the subject is chosen by whether or not you say 'yes' when cornered by the writer. And she likes to interview people that live close by. I live less than a mile away so I was a prime candidate to be interviewed.

I copied and pasted this article out of the newsletter, but since I am the subject, I don't think there will be any problems with copyrights.

Member Profile


Featured Member Profile


Steve Dunn, pictured in his well-organized and spacious studio with tabletops he built to his own height. He began in carpentry and construction, but devotes full-time to painting now.

Steve is a long-time member of the Tuesday morning watercolor group. He's not just the only man but the only one working abstractly and with acrylic. This is a lively bunch, and he enjoys the comradery and exchanges. For instance, his random line of white oil on a black ground brought a comment likening it to the P-Wave or cardial pulse. Steve ran with that idea, repeating it over and over. The finished piece is called "P-Wave."

It's obvious that Steve is in love with surfaces as he renders oil pastel on cardboard or masonite and watercolor on "Yupo" paper for extremely fluid washes. Steve is primarily self-taught through videos and information on the internet. He strives toward abstract expressionism with great excitement in exploring the interior of the individual. He often has three or four canvases going at once, setting them aside to reevaluate later. His paintings begin with just making marks or color layers and from there he rides the intuitive process.

Steve is currently inspired by the works of Mary Heilmann and Anna Barne. Both painters
are worth a look if you love glacial planes of color that intersect and lead into geometric
corridors and beyond. Steve's work really takes off at this point because as he admits, "All artists steal and then make it their own."  His attitude toward painting is simply. . . "This is what I do."

No comments:

Post a Comment