Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Brainy

My neurologist asked me to have a brain scan as part of his search as to why I have some balance problems. I went to the local radiology center and had the painless CAT scan, both with contrast and without. I did this just before our vacation and didn't have the results until recently.

The doctor noted that the ventricles in my brain were slightly enlarged and he shared with me the fact that he could not make a diagnosis at this time. But, an enlargement of the ventricles could be a sign of NPH or Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. The key word is 'could'. He wanted to make sure that I understood that he really doesn't have the whole picture yet and would not make a diagnosis until he does. So, I will have another brain scan in 6 months and then he can compare. This is a condition that is notoriously difficult to diagnose and he wants to make certain before he says yes or no. I'm happy for that as I read that many patients are overlooked and ignored when early detection is vital.

Then he tells me that the symptoms so far could also be a sign of early Parkinson's. (This guy is a bundle of laughs!) I wasn't expecting that but again, I'm glad that he is watching over me. I had heard good things about him and I can now confirm that they are true.

No comments:

Post a Comment