Saturday, October 6, 2018

A quiet Saturday

My sister and brother in law have made their way back to their home in Cave Creek AZ where once more they will be surrounded by Trump-ites. They must grin and bear it. Since we live in a 'Red' county, it was a pleasure for us all (4) to be among like minded folks. It doesn't happen often enough.

I'm still in 'recovery mode' after my last hospital stay. I only use use oxygen at night, piped into my CPAP  machine. I use a nebulizer 2 or 3 times a day and I keep an eye on blood oxygen levels. I hope to be able to get back to the gym next month. My pain situation hasn't changed much and that's a good thing only because my opioid consumption is still legal...but barely. I just read that the Congress, in their infinite wisdom, wishes to stop all opioid consumption. Some doctors are touting a plan called Pain Acceptance. Here is a description of this marvelous therapy.

Pain acceptance is the process of giving up the struggle with pain and learning to live life despite painAcceptance is associated with lower levels of pain, disability and psychological distress. Relatively little is known, however, about how patients arrive at a state of acceptance without the aid of therapy.

"Relatively little is known" ? And this is how they expect to treat patients? People without pain get to walk around that way, live their life, 24 hours a day, with no pain except for the usual headache now and then...while I am supposed to just accept my lot in life? Even though there is an imperfect drug to give me relief? A drug I have been managing safely for close to 11 years now? If that becomes reality I will have to do something other than Accepting  it. I don't know what it will be. It won't be heroin or Fentanyl, (a doctor gave me Fentanyl once...never again!)  although I would bet the sales of those two drugs will skyrocket, as well as arrests for possession. Prisons will have to learn how to manage prisoners with severe disabilities and pain. But, here is the good part; Doctors and Congress will be able to congratulate each other on another job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment