Sunday, April 30, 2023

Have I written this once before?

I know the following was once part of a letter to my sister. I try and keep copies of our correspondence so there is a good chance that she may recognize it...

"I may be a curmudgeon, I am certainly old enough to be one, but when I am reading or even having a conversation with someone and they start peppering the conversation with words such as ‘woke’ or ‘trope’, and ‘outlier’ then my interest plummets and I change my opinion of the writer or speaker to a negative or a neutral one. The writer/speaker should know their audience and then modify their speech to fit. Would this be welcome in Cedar Rapids? Could it reach an audience in Peoria? How about San Antonio? Yes, I know the meaning of the words. But, as soon as I saw or heard one that I could not understand, I would go to the dictionary to see if there was such a word. Even with that knowledge, my mind and tongue stumble over the words. I guess I am a curmudgeon (look it up)  


I know that I have been guilty of the same type of crime but with different audiences, and with different words. But I am 82 years old…and that great philosopher, my Nana, once said that her age allowed her the freedom to do as she darn well pleased. Of course she was right.


And if your audience is your family or friends, you are also given that same freedom, to use any words you like. It is a ‘perk’ that comes with age. And believe me, it is the only one that will be given to you freely. You will have to fight for all of the others.  


I finished another Peter Cawdron book and it was very good. I get swept up into his books and I am alternately sad/happy. My Sweet Satan was the latest title. 3Zekiel, Maelstrom, Déjà Vu, Starship Mine, Hello World, Cold Eye, Anomaly, Xenophobia, Wherever Seeds May Fall, Jury Duty, the ones with Bold lettering stood out a little bit but I have enjoyed them all. I found that if you search for ‘hard science fiction’ you won’t see books with kings and fairies, wizards and others of their ilk. You will get science mixed with fiction. I have Galactic Exploration loaded and it’s starting to look pretty good as well.


I am using Kindle Unlimited once again. I read these so fast; 3 a week, it made economic sense to just spend $11 a month."

No comments:

Post a Comment