Friday, April 28, 2023

The String Theory and...

Edward Witten. How did I ever become interested in Physics? Why didn't learn something about it when I was in high school? I do remember the time I became interested in the subject and that was when my most intelligent 'boss', Gordon Pinsky, took our entire department, all seven or eight of us, including spouses and secretaries, on a retreat to Port Townsend in Washington State. He had booked a very nice B & B for us. In fact it was every room! We had a choice! We met briefly and then we took a tour bus to a local park where he had arranged for a catered lunch. After lunch the bus took us to Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic National Forest. Okay, enough background...I was sitting on the steps of the porch of said B & B when my 'boss' came over and handed me the book "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene and said "You really need to read this." and so I did. That was over twenty years ago

It was a fascinating read. I learned so much from that thin book. I now have it on my Kindle and will turn to it now and then for rejuvenating my mind. 

But, I had never heard of Edward Witten before. Xavier, my PT therapist told me to look him up as I had mentioned String Theory to him. Mr. Witten is a professor of physics, and many, many other things. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKapdscHwJ0 ) A fascinating man! Of course he works at Princeton University and on Einstein Drive. You can read some of his papers on his website.

I just searched through The Elegant Universe and found Edward Witten acknowleged for his advise to the author. Plus half a dozen others.

No comments:

Post a Comment