Thursday, April 27, 2023

Too many memories

 And I have plenty more of them. It seems as if it only takes a word, seen or spoken, for me to suddenly race down memory lane. I wonder how many of them are accurate? Well, they are my memories so I suppose I should make that decision.

The majority of my memories are of my working days. That makes sense as that is what I did, work. I may have retired a year early but I started quite early. But it was after I left my career in the Navy that I found the career that fulfilled my ambitions. Construction became my second life. Starting as an apprentice carpenter, I was sent to my first job, a nine story lift slab apartment building in Hollywood. I believe that I have already written a story of that first day so I won't bore myself by recounting everything that happened that day. I had always been quiet and reserved and I continued to be. (Myers Briggs type INFP,ASD) I didn't enjoy being taught unless I chose to be, so I kept my eyes open and mouth closed during those first months on the job, and always learning. 

Construction was my 'dream' job. I was usually outside and I never stayed working on the same job. We would finish our part of the project and then we went to another. Starting all over but on a different project with different goals, different subcontractors, everything different! Staying 6 months on a project soon became boring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment