Thursday, May 25, 2023

You're in the Navy Now! #1

Boot Camp was now history, and I was going to Hospital Corps School...in San Diego! But first I had some leave time to use before going back to San Diego and the new duty station in Balboa Park. The two weeks slipped by quickly and then I was back at the airport, destination San Diego. Then taking a bus to Balboa Park. The school was located in one of the beautiful canyons within the park. I had been to Balboa Park many times in the past as the San Diego Zoo was located there, but I had never seen this canyon. There was one very tall building, known as Building 26, the Naval Hospital itself. Signs led me to the Hospital Corps school, and I checked in and was led to the sleeping quarters where I had a bunk and locker assigned to me. School would start in the morning, and I would be shown where the classroom was and most important, where the chow hall was.

I had to say the breakfast was good and it was peaceful in the chow hall, as compared to boot camp. There I found my friend, Bob; he was reporting in, and he would be in the same class as me.  Following directions, we found our way to the classroom and waited for the instructor. Listening to the others, it was apparent that most of the students were Navy Reserve, as Hospital Corps School was the only school that Reservists (2 years active duty) could choose.  

Of the three of us that joined together, one of us decided to become regular Navy (6 Year active Duty so that he could attend an Electronics school

 Our instructor arrived and I was surprised to see that she was a Lt. Commander in the Nurse Corps. She was going to be our instructor for the entire course of 3 months' duration. She seemed pleasant enough and I had better feelings about the school now 

The first thing she did was to pass out a copy of the Handbook of the Hospital Corps to each of us. The first thing I noticed was that the book was the 1939 Edition. What? It was already 20 years old. 

Luckily, the book was not used very often, and we learned by 'lecture' and practice. We were told that if we maintained a 95% average on our tests, we could choose our next Duty Station. I had visions of choosing the Naval Hospital in Long Beach which would put me less than an hour away from Manhattan Beach and home. Also, I had a girlfriend, and she would also be less than an hour away. Life was good!







No comments:

Post a Comment