Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Musing

Today is the day I irrigate the orchard and so I am out early for that chore. So early, in fact, that it is quite dark when I make my way up the path to the canal. Flashlight in hand, I study the gate that I have to open to get water to flow down to our place. Something, something dead and bloated, (a pig?) was bobbing in the current near the gate. I gave it a shove with my shovel and off it went, heading down to the next orchard and not mine. I tried lifting the gate, but it was held in place by the great amount of water flowing by. Grasping the handle of the gate a little more firmly this time, I heaved it upwards and was rewarded with a large “burp” from the pipeline as the water poured in. This phenomenon always covers me with water and is a good reason to wear old clothes. It’s also a good reason to take a shower afterwards!

Back in the orchard I have time to contemplate as the sky turns silver and finally a pale blue. The wind was still blowing, though not as fiercely as it had on Tuesday. I have my trusty rake in hand to move those things that obstruct the free flow of the water as it creeps across the orchard. After awhile, the water was deep enough to reveal ripples from the push of the wind across its surface.

No one else is around to talk to and so I watch the horses on the property next door as they trot in for a drink at the bathtub that serves as a watering hole. The horses are curious and spend some time staring at me. A couple of mares get irritated about something and get into a kicking contest that lasts for only a few seconds. Both seem satisfied with the outcome and wander off.

An hour after I started, the orchard is covered with a few inches of water and it’s time to move the water down to my neighbor. I open the gate to that channel and watch the water sweep away an army of “critters”, beetles, which live in the channel. They will be back…and so will I. I really enjoy this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment