Thursday, March 10, 2005

Turbo

OK, the Turbo Tax experiment is over and we e-filed our returns yesterday. Now, if the refund money we expect to receive shows up in our bank account, the experiment will be deemed a success. It was a pleasant experience except when I needed to review an entry that I had made early on and the navigation seemed to take far too long…but that might have been “user error”.

As is usual, we get some money back from the federal government and pay some to the state. But what I found really interesting as I reviewed each question that Turbo Tax threw at me; was the fact that tax law is almost entirely made up of exemptions for special interests. Each question revealed a bias. Oh, I’m sure that you already knew this…but since I had been protected from this information, by having an accountant do my taxes for years, I found it quite interesting. What if we all just paid the same percentage? Oh, Oh…I’m thinking like one of those “Tax nuts” aren’t I? One of those wackos that make up the far right and usually live in Idaho.

No comments:

Post a Comment