Friday, April 29, 2005

Back in the Day

I received my package from Amazon the other day; three more books to read. And all good ones! I think I have about four books open right now and I’m tempted to open the fifth. Yes, I have far too many books to read now, but this is one of the best parts of retirement, the luxury of being able to sit down and read whenever you want. Back in the day…when I was traveling across the country, from office to office, I would buy what I called “airplane books”; paperback novels that I would find in the airport shops. Most could be read in just a few flights and I wouldn’t lose a “good” book if I forgot to take it with me when I left the plane. And the novels kept me entertained at a level where I didn’t notice the irritations of air travel quite as much. I had a travel routine that I kept to whenever possible; pass through security, wearing my “security shoes” and a sweater, as these didn’t have to be removed. I never had a carry-on bag as that could hinder your progress through the line. Once I was on the safe side of the security barrier I would identify all of the important locations. The proper gate, always checking the monitors first. The restrooms. The gift/news store and (hopefully) an espresso stand. With a coffee in hand, I could browse the book section and with any luck at all, I would find some cheap novel that I hadn’t read before. And then I would purchase a computer magazine. Always! Once on board the plane, I would settle into my window seat, making sure that I had all my supplies within easy reach. Kleenex, cough drops, magazine and book. Telephone…off. I would always try to be fully involved in the book before the preflight announcements began. If I hadn’t found a book, then I would try to catch a nap before the attendants began their spiel. Most of the time, I never even noticed the plane taking off and sometimes I even surprised myself when looking out of the window and seeing the ground far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment