Monday, September 12, 2005

Righteous Anger?

Yesterday’s sermon was challenging, as sermons are supposed to be…It addressed, but didn’t solve the problem we have forgiving those who have hurt us. In this message, the “hurt” was the terrorist attack on September 11th, 2001.

Jesus is quite clear in His words concerning forgiveness.

“Matthew18:21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?"

Matthew 18:22 Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.”

Clear, but challenging. Can we forgive…and forget? Should we? Jesus isn’t as clear on the “forgetting”; He doesn’t even mention it and I believe there is no earthly reason to do that. Forgiving is hard enough. For me, the problem lies in the fact that I can’t see beyond the grievous sin that was committed against innocents. God, who stands outside the limits of time and space, sees it all, including the why of why we should forgive. And He makes that clear in verse 35 of Matthew 18, the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant. "This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother from your heart.”

I know one thing about forgiving and that is the fact that it can free us from the stranglehold of anger. Anger that blinds us to reason and makes us lash out at anyone within our reach, even those we love. Anger damages our souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment