Thursday, December 22, 2005

Fishing Lessons


Thursday is here once again and I have returned from my trip to Susanville and some fishing at Eagle Lake. Fishing is what I did, catching is what I didn’t do. I returned last night after a long journey through the storm that was hitting Northern California one more time. Luckily, it was a warm storm and so snowfall wasn’t my concern this time, rockfall was. The rain had loosened rocks throughout the length of Deer Creek Canyon and they were littering both lanes of the narrow road. This road is tricky enough during the summer months; winter driving just adds to the perils.

But, before I got to the canyon…I passed the solitary chimney and mantel that sits alongside the road between Westwood and Goodrich Creek. The structure that housed the fireplace is long gone but the chimney endures; I have seen it for almost 30 years now and every year it has been decorated by persons unknown. This year, a large wreath hangs from the chimney while a handful of ornaments sit on the mantel.

No comments:

Post a Comment