Wednesday, December 21, 2005

More Rain

I'm still in the mountains above Susanville. We did go fishing yesterday, but that wasn't the success we hoped for. The weather was just too good. The sun was shining and the sky was blue. That's a formula for disaster when fishing for Eagle Lake trout. Around 11 we headed into town for breakfast at the Grand Cafe, a restaurant that can claim a history of close to 100 years in Susanville. After a great breakfast, the skies began to turn gray once again so we headed back to the lake for another try. But...no luck.

Later that afternoon and into the evening, the skies opened up and it began to pour. This morning we have more of the same. Thankfully, it's not snow, as I'm headed home this afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. I am jealous Steve, I love Eagle Lake. I use to go up there with an old gal friends dad.

    Ever fished Caples Lake by chance?

    I am preparing for some ice fishing. Me thinks my father is getting me some ice traps. I just got some boots rated to -100 F.

    Becareful out there! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we're talking about two different Eagle Lakes, Dave...The one I was visiting is actually California's second largest natural lake and is located northwest of Susanville.

    I never did fish at Caples. Most of my early Sierra fishing was done in the area around Bridgeport, Ca.

    Later, when we moved to northeastern California, we fished Eagle, Antelope, Frenchman and Almanor.

    I have done some ice fishing myself. On Bantam Lake, near Morris, Connecticut. Great fun using tip-ups. Sounds like you have the right footwear for it.

    ReplyDelete