Thursday, December 1, 2005

Weather Report

Thursday has arrived in the midst of a major storm. The first big one of the season and the wind is blowing and the rain is falling. And I’m quite warm and snug. I love it! I can’t see outside yet, but I can certainly hear the muted roar of the wind as it passes through the tree branches, tearing at the remaining leaves in the orchard. Though I imagine that after a few more hours of this kind of wind, we won’t see many more leaves.

This house is unique for me in that it has a cement tile roof. Something that seems so solid and comforting in a storm like this. I used to worry about our old shake roof when we lived in Roseville, so this is quite pleasant…enjoying a storm!

And the fire is going in our woodstove. I just added a log and with the fire set to “low”, that log will last about two hours. I put off starting a fire until yesterday afternoon as I’m not a big fan of wood heat. I enjoy the warmth…but not the mess and expense. After eleven years of cutting, hauling, splitting and burning wood just to keep warm when we lived in Lassen County, I’m a big fan of natural gas and thermostats!

No comments:

Post a Comment