Sunday, February 19, 2006

Sunday Musings

Sunday morning and all is well…mostly. I am up at an early hour and that’s not unusual, as I napped for awhile in front of the TV last night. I know I should just go to bed when I start nodding off, but it seems to be the American thing to do…to sleep in front of the tube. There is a whole section of the American economy devoted to the manufacture and sale of recliners, made expressly for sleeping while “watching” television. I have seen houses where everyone has a recliner, even the guests. That’s really equal opportunity. But, we don’t own a recliner (yet) and so I must sit upright in an old wingback chair while watching the back of my eyelids. That’s not really a problem, as sleeping while vertical has never been difficult for me. I first learned to do it when I was in Navy “boot camp” and have since become quite proficient at it.

Of course this whole recliner business is based on the fact that there is very little to watch on television. What would happen to the fortunes of the Lazy Boy Corporation if the television audience decided to stay awake and watch some fascinating show? There is little danger of that happening, but it is a sobering thought. And I can’t help but wonder who’s really awake at those houses where the Neilson ratings are being taken? The television may be on but the audience has switched off.

I have checked the news this morning and the only thing that has me incensed is a story about smoking in Congress. It seems that it is still legal to use tobacco in the buildings that house our lawmakers. And the Honorable Tom DeLay spits Skoal…isn’t that a delightful image? Does he use an old Lone Star beer can? The article went on to describe how the lawmakers have developed a sixth sense when it comes to being able to avoid being photographed with a cigarette, cigar or snuff. (Aha! So they know it’s wrong!) There’s a great idea for a blog…posting photos of congressional leaders, taken while they are using tobacco.

And speaking of dangerous drugs…I watched Frontline last week and a story on the methamphetamine epidemic. It was quite revealing to see how the always ethical pharmaceutical industry has profited from this terribly addictive drug. And I stayed awake while watching it!

I better check the weather; I see that mild weather is returning during the next few days. And that means that I may need to turn the sprinklers back on…we didn’t get any rain out of the last storm, though it rained briefly in areas all around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment